Skip to main content

My notes on "transformative tools for thought"

These are my notes on transformative tools for thought (haven't finished it yet) which reminds me of the book "A mind for numbers" by Barbara Oakley.


What's really going on is that they're having a hard time with basic notation and terminology. It's difficult to understand quantum mechanics when you're unclear about every third word or piece of notation. Every sentence is a struggle.

Same with math. If you don't get what notations really mean, even if you have conceptual understanding, you will get lost.

In caricature, they say: “Why should I care about memory? I want deeper kinds of understanding! Can’t I just look stuff up on the internet? I want creativity! I want conceptual understanding! I want to know how to solve important problems! Only dull, detail-obsessed grinds focus on rote memory.”

That's me. I'm caricature.

...when an expert learns new information in their field, they don’t make up artificial connections to their memory palace. Instead, they find meaningful connections to what they already know. Those connections are themselves useful expertise; they’re building out a dense network of understanding. It’s a deeper and more desirable kind of expertise, connections native to the subject itself.

This is why it is easier for me to see connections now that i am older. I create metaphors from seemingly different topics. It's fun, like an aha! moment.

One such idea is elaborative encoding. Roughly speaking, this is the idea that the richer the associations we have to a concept, the better we will remember it. As a consequence, we can improve our memory by enriching that network of associations.

Focus on connecting the dots, not collecting the dots which is counter to how subjects are taught in schools--isolated disconnected bits of information.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I can't finish watching Laggies...

Why am I bothered by Laggies ? So much so that I don’t like finishing it? I guess the main character is about to make wrong decisions. And that gives me anxiety. I’m screaming at the screen, “No! Don’t do that”. But of course, they still do. Of course. I already know how this is gonna end. Why does it bother me so much when technically she’s not doing anything wrong? Oh yes, she’s gonna hurt her fiance when she inevitably breaks off their engagement. And? I don’t know. As I said, I don’t like it when characters make wrong decisions.  She’s running away because she discovered that her father is having an affair. And instead of confronting him, she’s living with a teenager and her dad. And of course, she’s gonna fall in love with the dad. Predictable. I guess I just don’t like it when I don’t have control over things. The question is: will my worrying ever change the outcome? No. Definitely not. It’s all predetermined. But why am I worried on behalf of the main character? Even if she...

Hierarchy of D-classes determined by rank

The D-classes have a certain type of hierarchy. And to illustrate this, I'll give relevant properties of the rank of a transformation. The first property is that the rank of a product of two transformations is less than or equal to the minimum of the individual ranks. Let's flesh this out some more. Let's start with what I call the nobility in this hierarchy--the permutations. The noble class would like their wealth and power to stay within their class or family. How do they do that? The idea is to marry someone with the same social class as you are. It's a very common trope in movies and TV. So in the same way, for an "offspring" of a permutation to have the full rank still, both of its "parents" should be permutations. rank(ab)=n  if and only if rank(a)=rank(b)=n As part of group theory, we study permutations. This is because a group is embedded in a permutation group by Cayley's theorem. In the finite case, every group of order n is isomorphi...

Anthem by Ayn Rand: Individualism vs Collectivism (reaction pre-pandemic)

I read Anthem by Ayn Rand before the pandemic happened. So my thoughts and opinions are not colored by people's reaction to the pandemic (e.g. anti-maskers).  First off, I disagree with Ms. Rand's over-arching thesis that selfishness is always good. Too much individuality has made me feel alienated from other people. The best feelings that I had are when I feel connected to other people. The following quote resonated with me because I'm usually secretive with my thoughts and opinions. I don't share my thoughts freely that's why i have a private twitter account. It is a sin to write this. It is a sin to think words no others think and to put them down upon a paper no others are to see. It is base and evil. It is as if we were speaking alone to no ears but our own. But according to the "document, don't create" philosophy you should share to the world your progress and don't just keep it to yourself. You might as well get constructive feedback and mee...