Skip to main content

Is it pathetic to try?

It's election season. And I see these candidates who have no chance of winning. But they try. Some barely try. Some desperately try.  Even before the elections, I've had this question in my head, "Is it pathetic to try"?


Is it pathetic to try when you have no chance of winning? How would you know that you have no chance of winning? By trying, heh. That's how you test the waters. I definitely had moments when I thought I had no chance of doing something but that was the pessimist in me talking. Almost always, the reality is so much better than the scenario in my head. Sometimes all we need is a little bit of hope.

What does winning even mean? Is it attaining a goal? Perhaps. I guess sometimes I don't try because I don't wanna be seen as weak. The excuse "I didn't even try anyways" will come in handy. Your ego won't be hurt. Because if you tried your hardest and you gave it your all, and you still didn't get it, what does that say about you? I guess it's contextual. How much do I want it? Do I really need to do it? Is it worth the embarrassment? Making a fool of myself?

But there are situations where it's obvious you've lost but you won't ever admit it. Perhaps because of pride. Perhaps because you want to go back to a happier place in the past. I recall that scene in the movie One More Chance where Popoy was begging Basha to come back. Perhaps I'm too prideful because I don't see myself doing that. I won't say ever because I don't want karma to come back at me. But the way I am and the state of mind that I'm in, I don't see myself begging for someone's love. But hey, matters of the heart are a different category altogether. It defies logic.

But I can also see myself rooting for someone who obviously wants something so much that they're willing to do everything to get it. You've worked so hard you deserve to get that at least. Not that we're entitled to success just because we work had. It just increases the surface area of luck.
 
So to answer the question, "Is it pathetic to try"? It's no. Almost always no. But we have to discern when we've lost the fight. We're allowed to appeal maybe once or twice. More than that is just foolish, I guess. It's like kicking a dead horse and willing it to be alive. Sometimes we have to concede defeat. Move on and onto the next one.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I can't finish watching Laggies...

Why am I bothered by Laggies ? So much so that I don’t like finishing it? I guess the main character is about to make wrong decisions. And that gives me anxiety. I’m screaming at the screen, “No! Don’t do that”. But of course, they still do. Of course. I already know how this is gonna end. Why does it bother me so much when technically she’s not doing anything wrong? Oh yes, she’s gonna hurt her fiance when she inevitably breaks off their engagement. And? I don’t know. As I said, I don’t like it when characters make wrong decisions.  She’s running away because she discovered that her father is having an affair. And instead of confronting him, she’s living with a teenager and her dad. And of course, she’s gonna fall in love with the dad. Predictable. I guess I just don’t like it when I don’t have control over things. The question is: will my worrying ever change the outcome? No. Definitely not. It’s all predetermined. But why am I worried on behalf of the main character? Even if she...

Hierarchy of D-classes determined by rank

The D-classes have a certain type of hierarchy. And to illustrate this, I'll give relevant properties of the rank of a transformation. The first property is that the rank of a product of two transformations is less than or equal to the minimum of the individual ranks. Let's flesh this out some more. Let's start with what I call the nobility in this hierarchy--the permutations. The noble class would like their wealth and power to stay within their class or family. How do they do that? The idea is to marry someone with the same social class as you are. It's a very common trope in movies and TV. So in the same way, for an "offspring" of a permutation to have the full rank still, both of its "parents" should be permutations. rank(ab)=n  if and only if rank(a)=rank(b)=n As part of group theory, we study permutations. This is because a group is embedded in a permutation group by Cayley's theorem. In the finite case, every group of order n is isomorphi...

Anthem by Ayn Rand: Individualism vs Collectivism (reaction pre-pandemic)

I read Anthem by Ayn Rand before the pandemic happened. So my thoughts and opinions are not colored by people's reaction to the pandemic (e.g. anti-maskers).  First off, I disagree with Ms. Rand's over-arching thesis that selfishness is always good. Too much individuality has made me feel alienated from other people. The best feelings that I had are when I feel connected to other people. The following quote resonated with me because I'm usually secretive with my thoughts and opinions. I don't share my thoughts freely that's why i have a private twitter account. It is a sin to write this. It is a sin to think words no others think and to put them down upon a paper no others are to see. It is base and evil. It is as if we were speaking alone to no ears but our own. But according to the "document, don't create" philosophy you should share to the world your progress and don't just keep it to yourself. You might as well get constructive feedback and mee...