Skip to main content

How pride gets in the way of love (FWB vs NSA)

So I watched two movies about friends with benefits with the intent of comparing and contrasting them. Interestingly, both movies were released in 2011.

From now on, I will only be using acronyms for the movies. Friends With Benefits (FWB) and No Strings Attached (NSA). Also for the actors. Justin Timberlake (JT), Mila Kunis (MK), Ashton Kutcher (AK), and Natalie Portman (NP).

I'll use the actors' initials to mean their characters because I can hardly remember their characters' names.

This post contains SPOILERS. You've been warned.

image grabbed from slashfilm.com

Chemistry-wise, I think NSA is better. AK and NP are more believable as a couple. Personally, I relate to NP's character the most.

Pride: one of the seven deadly sins 

I didn't like FWB very much. Although, MK is hot so there's that. I just can't pinpoint exactly when JT fell in love with her. Is it during that Hollywood climb? Climbing with her even though he's afraid of heights. I can't quite tell.




But JT's character is so prideful. He's the one who inadvertently hurt MK but he's so stubborn he won't apologize. It's frustrating having these flawed characters. But that's the point, right?



Otherwise, there would be no conflict and hence no movie. While I'm judging JT, I can clearly see myself letting pride get in the way of love. Who are you anyway? I don't need you. I can survive on my own!

Which brings me to Natalie Portman's character in No Strings Attached.

She's JT's female counterpart. They both have their walls up. She's afraid of love. Etc. etc.

The best way to explain her character is through the song Runaway by Sasha Sloan.

Because that's what she does. When something becomes too real, she runs away. It's a great song, have a listen.

At the start of the movie, NP's character Emma has this to say.

Look, I’m not really an affectionate person. People aren’t meant to be together forever.

And I think that encapsulates Emma's outlook on love.

She's quirky, okay. And then she invites AK into this stupid thing which turned out to be her father's funeral. So AK looked stupidly out of place in a yellow hoodie.



To make the story short, AK asks out NP on a date on Valentine's day. She agreed. But then he tells her he loves her. She doesn't like that. So she pushes him away.

Okay... why though? I really don't get it either.

A threesome

So AK is hurt, understandably. NP tells him he should meet other people. Okay, fine. He met these two girls and he has this brilliant idea to take a picture and send it to NP.

Why do people do this? Why do people intentionally hurt the people they claim to love? Pettiness? Revenge?

I don't get it. But anyway, NP got the message. She rushes to AK's home and finds that she's already too late.

She lost him.

And here NP shows her vulnerability. Ah, she's human after all. The pretense of indifference is broken.

As she was about to give up, AK's father is rushed to the hospital. She receives a text. Got a glimmer of hope.

AK calls her after a "lecture" from his father. Realizes he should give their love another chance. Calls her. Forgives her.



“We don’t pick who we fall in love with. And it never happens like it should.”
He didn't make it easy for her though. She was a mess when she arrived. With donuts all over her face. She was stress eating when she thought she lost him.

So which movie did I like better? NSA, no question. I feel like it's more nuanced. Although NP's character can be crazy. Pushing him away like that then regretting when he's had enough.

But still, their love story is sweet. I can feel that the couple are really into each other. Just the right amount of vulnerability and fun.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

I can't finish watching Laggies...

Why am I bothered by Laggies ? So much so that I don’t like finishing it? I guess the main character is about to make wrong decisions. And that gives me anxiety. I’m screaming at the screen, “No! Don’t do that”. But of course, they still do. Of course. I already know how this is gonna end. Why does it bother me so much when technically she’s not doing anything wrong? Oh yes, she’s gonna hurt her fiance when she inevitably breaks off their engagement. And? I don’t know. As I said, I don’t like it when characters make wrong decisions.  She’s running away because she discovered that her father is having an affair. And instead of confronting him, she’s living with a teenager and her dad. And of course, she’s gonna fall in love with the dad. Predictable. I guess I just don’t like it when I don’t have control over things. The question is: will my worrying ever change the outcome? No. Definitely not. It’s all predetermined. But why am I worried on behalf of the main character? Even if she...

Hierarchy of D-classes determined by rank

The D-classes have a certain type of hierarchy. And to illustrate this, I'll give relevant properties of the rank of a transformation. The first property is that the rank of a product of two transformations is less than or equal to the minimum of the individual ranks. Let's flesh this out some more. Let's start with what I call the nobility in this hierarchy--the permutations. The noble class would like their wealth and power to stay within their class or family. How do they do that? The idea is to marry someone with the same social class as you are. It's a very common trope in movies and TV. So in the same way, for an "offspring" of a permutation to have the full rank still, both of its "parents" should be permutations. rank(ab)=n  if and only if rank(a)=rank(b)=n As part of group theory, we study permutations. This is because a group is embedded in a permutation group by Cayley's theorem. In the finite case, every group of order n is isomorphi...

Anthem by Ayn Rand: Individualism vs Collectivism (reaction pre-pandemic)

I read Anthem by Ayn Rand before the pandemic happened. So my thoughts and opinions are not colored by people's reaction to the pandemic (e.g. anti-maskers).  First off, I disagree with Ms. Rand's over-arching thesis that selfishness is always good. Too much individuality has made me feel alienated from other people. The best feelings that I had are when I feel connected to other people. The following quote resonated with me because I'm usually secretive with my thoughts and opinions. I don't share my thoughts freely that's why i have a private twitter account. It is a sin to write this. It is a sin to think words no others think and to put them down upon a paper no others are to see. It is base and evil. It is as if we were speaking alone to no ears but our own. But according to the "document, don't create" philosophy you should share to the world your progress and don't just keep it to yourself. You might as well get constructive feedback and mee...